Me again! Last night I was preparing supper for my partner and myself and couldn't help but feel guilty about all the food scraps I was throwing in the garbage that could have been tossed into my future compost instead. Potato peels, broccoli ends, onions I didn't get to in time and egg shells all made their way into my garbage. I didn't want to save these items as I wasn't sure when I would hear back from my potential worm suppliers, so in they went. This morning I eagerly checked my email and found a response from Pokey's Tackle Shop who unfortunately does not deal in worms. Disappointed, I went about my day still hoping that the other two would be more fruitful. And guess what?!? The Information & Outreach Coordinator from SWRC (Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council) emailed me back with two contacts in Regina who were willing to part with some of their colonies for beginner composters which was excellent! But the group I've decided to buy from came in response to my ad on Used Regina. A teacher and his grade two class are selling both worms and start up kits as a fundraising initiative at École Elsie Mironuck Community School, so I am picking up my new friends on Friday! I will post pictures once I get everything up and running.
In other waste reducing news, you may have noticed the new section on the side of our blog titled "Our Garbage Production." This will be home to our garbage tickers that we will use to track the current and future weights of our individual household garbages. Each time we throw out a bag, we weigh it to see how many pounds of garbage we are producing and to compare from bag to bag to see if we have been able to decrease our trash by introducing new waste reducing initiatives. We are also multiplying the poundage by the number of weeks or days in a year to give us a guesstimation of how much we would send to the landfill if we carried on that way. My partner and I tossed out a whopping 6.8lbs of garbage this week which would equate to 413.7lbs per year. Wowza! That's a lot of trash! I am interested to see how composting will positively affect our garbage output. Check back to see!
-TheDirt
No comments:
Post a Comment