Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weigh In

The second weigh in was a success. My garbage intake was reduced by a total of 2.8lbs. It started at 12.6lbs and is down to 9.8lbs which is a good starting point. During the past week or so I have been a lot more mindful of the things that I have been throwing in the trash. Things like price tags or receipts are now consistently recycled. I have limited my paper towel use, using rags instead. However, this is just a starting point. There is a lot more that needs to be done. I have begun researching to find out what else can be recycled and where. After a call to Crown Shred & Recycling (a service that I already use), I discovered that the following items can be recycled: 
  • Newspaper, junkmail and flyers
  • Cardboard and cereal box type materials
  • Gift wrap and packing paper
  • Magazines, phone books
  • Any fibre type material
  • Tin cans and aluminum containers
  • Household plastics (some restrictions apply)

Previously I had been throwing away 1-2 cat food cans daily. I have started a system that incorporates plastic, cans as well as paper, cardboard and beverage containers (which had been recycled previously).


After the bins are filled, I transport the materials collected to larger bins that are located outside and that can be taken to the end of the driveway come pick up day.

Lets see how much garbage I can reduce this week, wish me luck!

-Flower Power

No comments:

Post a Comment