
I had a very interesting week with my worms. I opened the lid to check on them one day (as I do almost everyday . . . they're basically like family now) and to my surprise a few of them were trying to make a break for it. I felt terrible! I immediately starting consulting my resources to figure out what the problem might be and discovered a couple of options/solutions. One could have been the acidity level of the environment, so I quickly cracked a couple of eggs for my partner to eat so I could wash the shells and sprinkle them on the bedding to help neutralize it. And the second was ventilation, so I had my partner drill some more holes to allow for more air flow. I am happy to report that things are okay and my worms are back to eating up my garbage. This week's lunch was banana peels, cucumber ends and peels, a couple of sickly looking blueberries, and some apple slices I forgot about.I also had to change my garbage this weekend and it was a mere 3lbs! And when you calculate the savings over a year, the results were amazing. Check out my garbage ticker to see the progress I've made over the last few weeks. This week, my plan is to draft up a letter to see if any of my surrounding condo neighbours would like to join in on a recycling program with us. We're hoping to get something going soon, as the majority of stuff left to throw away has that magical number on the bottom that says it can be recycled!
I will keep you posted!
-TheDirt
TheDirt,
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that you put pictures up! They look fantastic. I am getting inspired :)
-Cooking4two
good work!!!
ReplyDelete