I have been thinking a lot about our group's goals, and what actions I am going to take to reduce my family-of-two's garbage output. We already recycle our beverage containers and paper products, but what about the rest of the junk that goes in that bag under my sink? Food scraps are what have caught my attention! I remember having a compost when we were kids, growing up in Ontario. It was in our backyard and one of our seasonal chores was to take the scrap-bucket out and dump it in. I remember being too short to reach the lid so I had to climb on the wooden slats on the side like a ladder. This was fine until the lid fell on my head once while I was dumping in my goods.
While I am surely able to reach the lid of a compost box now, condo living does not permit us the space to have such a box. What I did find though, was an alternative to the traditional composter that I can operate all year round! It's called a vermicompost and it will live under our sink. Saskatchewan Waste Reduction Council has an amazing website outlining the how to's of starting one of these things, plus the differences between regular composting and vermicomposting. I sent an email to Garbage Delight in Regina about getting some worms last week but did not hear back from them so I'm thinking they are no longer in the worm business. I sent two emails today to Sask Waste Reduction and Pokey's Tackle and posted a want ad on Used Regina so hopefully these will generate a response so I can get started.
I am also interested in the curbside pickup service offered by Crown Shred & Recycling that Cooking4two mentioned below. We'll start with the compost first and then look into that maybe in the next week or two! I will keep you posted on our worm-search.
-TheDirt
Go Green Recycling is who we use -- they are a cheaper alternative to Crown. And they are a local Ma and Pop company.
ReplyDeleteExcellent! Another option for us to look into. Thanks Chris!
ReplyDelete