Dear Neighbour:
We are looking into subscribing to a curbside recycling program with Crown Shred & Recycling. It is a biweekly service that will pick up the following household recyclables:
ü Household Glass
ü Aluminum containers & tin cans
ü Milk cartons and milk jugs
ü Plastic beverage bottles, cereal box bags, plastic grocery and garbage bags
ü Household plastic with a number 1 - 7 on the bottom in the recycling logo
ü Brown paper bags and tissue roll cores
ü Corrugated cardboard and paperboard (cereal) boxes
ü Magazines and catalogues
ü Telephone books
ü Junk mail, envelopes, newspaper and flyers
ü Letter-quality paper
ü Gift wrap and packing paper
The cost for a one year subscription is $110 + GST, but we are looking at teaming up with our neighbours to reduce this cost, as well as the amount of garbage we are sending to our landfill. Therefore, the cost will depend on the number of participants we have interested in joining us.
Currently, Regina citizens generate about 1,000kg of solid waste per household annually, with 84% of that ending up in our landfill. Much of this waste includes items from the list above that can be recycled. This has created the need for plans to expand the Regina Landfill, as it has reached its capacity. Check out the City of Regina’s website for more information.
If you are interested in participating, please drop the bottom portion of this letter into our mailbox by no later then Saturday, March 5. Once we have received a total number of participants, we will inform you of the cost as well as a pickup schedule and some simple sorting instructions. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!
Regards,
TheDirt
We decided to go with Crown Shred & Recycling for group recycling because they accept a few more items then Go Green Recycling, including plastic bags. We found this particularly important because anything that won't fit in your bin can be placed in a bag for pick up. This will be handy if we have lots of interest and happen to accumulate a lot of recycling. I have decided that if no one is interested, then my partner and I will use Go Green Recycling on our own. I will let you know what happens!
On a side note, my worms are thriving. They are getting bigger and fatter and seem to be loving all the scraps I feed them. I have had to add more shredded newspaper to the bottom of the bin as they seemed to have eaten most of what I gave them. I am also checking on them less often to try and give them some space.
Anyway, I will be sure to report back on my recycling recruitment and any other exciting news that might come up!
-TheDirt
Anyway, I will be sure to report back on my recycling recruitment and any other exciting news that might come up!
-TheDirt
Cool!
ReplyDelete