I promised an update on my recycling recruitment efforts, so here it is. Better late than never! I distributed the letter to 11 of my surrounding neighbours and had 1 respond. At first I was a little disappointed, but then I started to think in terms of small successes, and this is definitely one worth celebrating. I realized that even if 90% of my neighbours aren't willing to join forces with me to reduce their household garbage, I have hopefully created some awareness in them. I included a small fact about Regina households and a website for them to reference if they wanted more information. I hope they took the time to read the letter and are at least considering how much they might be contributing to the problem. If not, at least I tried. But let's not forget the 1 person I did influence. We received our bins yesterday and our first pickup date is next week. My partner and I started saving our recyclables after we last took the trash out, and I am proud to say that this is the longest we've gone to date without having to change the bag. We have reduced our waste by over half in the last month! That is also something worth celebrating.
On a side note, I had one lonely worm escape last week for no apparent reason. I found him playing a game of tag with my cat just outside of his bin. Don't worry, no one was injured and I returned him to his habitat.
-TheDirt
No comments:
Post a Comment