Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gardening To Fit Your Needs


Growing your own vegetables is good for you! The food tastes better, it keeps toxins and bad chemicals out of your body, it saves the gas that it would take to truck them into the grocery store. If you preserve your own after the harvest you won't have to buy cans, or frozen vegetables at the store which saves packaging from ending up in the landfill. If I haven't yet won you over... IT SAVES YOU SO MUCH MONEY and IS SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT!

gardeninggarden.com


I think that when you start to garden you should start small, and plant some very hardy and usable vegetables to start with. I know I certainly didn't have the patience for broccoli, green peppers or corn my first year. It takes time to see what works best in the space you have available. If an outdoor garden is simply not feasible, I would challenge you to use planters, indoors and out. I love when summer comes around and I can clip off a few lettuce leaves to start a salad or the tops of my green onions to top off some baked potatoes. 
It's so easy to do!

Containersgardening.com
Vegetablegardener.com  
I think a good place to start would be to plant everything you would need for a nice garden salad: a few kinds of lettuce, some carrots, tomatoes, green onions, green peas, some nice smelling herbs, as well as some simple flowers mixed in. My reason for the flowers is that I get anxious waiting for the vegetables to grow and to be able to use them, so seeing flowers which bloom at a faster rate provides me with some excitement and keeps me positive, while I wait for my harvest. Although I do have an outside garden plot (6'x12'),  I have had to use a few tricks such as transplanting green onions, lettuce, tomatoes and herbs into planters and bringing them indoors in order to fit my needs better (aka the dog kept sitting on them, or a friendly rabbit decides to help itself!). Here are a few tips to inspire you in your gardening... and may encourage you that spring is getting closer! (If you are really anxious there is no reason why you can't start now!)

My goal this year is to mix in more flowers with my vegetables, here is a photo of something I aspire to do!


How to start an indoor veggie garden - Readers Digest

How to design a successful indoor garden - Wiki how

7 areas to monitor for indoor plants - About

Grow and  Indoor Herb Garden - About

Easy to grow vegetables - Kiddie Gardens

Container gardens - Garden Guides

Have fun! I know I will!

-Cooking4two

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Wondering if you are able to update a problem that I found on your website?

    You are linking to a dead page on your website from this page:

    http://order4areason.blogspot.com/2011/03/gardening-to-fit-your-needs.html

    The link was going to this page - http://www.kiddiegardens.com/ , but the page is no longer working.

    I actually just put together a guide to kids gardening here:

    https://www.yardcaregurus.com/gardening-with-kids/

    I thought my page may be a good replacement for you.

    Best,
    Mark
    mark@yardcaregurus.com

    ReplyDelete