Hi again!
Last week I saw some fantastic looking strawberries at the grocery store and I couldn't help myself but to buy some. My husband and I enjoyed some that night, and the next day, but by the third day - they had all gone bad and were moldy! I was not impressed and I felt guilty for buying something and having it go to waste.
So the next time I bought strawberries I had a plan. I saved about 8 or so to enjoy fresh. The others I washed and cut up and laid onto a baking pan with parchment paper. I put them into the freezer in batches (so that the none of the strawberries were touching each other - and would freeze individually).
When I took them out of the freezer I put them in a re-usable plastic ziploc bag and then back into the freezer again. I LOVED the results! They are all frozen indivudally, not in a big clump so if I want to take out just a handful for a smoothie, or 2 cups for a pie I can do just that. My mother-in-law said that i can also dust them with sugar when they are still fresh and before they go on the baking sheet and it will give even better results.
So I tried it with raspberries next!
Raspberries in the back, Rhubarb in the front.
My rhubarb had grown so big that I really needed to use some of it before it went bad. So i spent about half an hour chopping off the reddest stalks. I washed them, cut them in inch chunks and laid them out to freeze the same way! I have used them in two pies so far and the result has been wonderful!
I will continue to add to and take from these freezer bags as the berries and other fruits and vegetables ripen and need to be used.
I hope to have a collection of berries and other goodies in the freezer so that I can use them in the dead of winter next year. They are supposed to be good for at least 6 months in the freezer.
Enjoy your berries this summer!
-Cooking4two
No comments:
Post a Comment